Currently, basic help is provided, at no cost, to support the self-service model of using REDCap for research activities.
Support for Non-Research Projects - Effective 8/17/2021
Due to several factors, support for non-research REDCap projects is currently limited to: 1) processing system requests, 2) self-directed help and learning resources in the REDCap wiki, and 3) Basics and Survey training sessions. Please review the details below.
Funding for REDCap is currently only for research activities, which is also REDCap’s intended use – data collection for research studies. We are in the process of revising our model of support to work with both research and non-research projects in a more sustainable and beneficial way. However, at this time we are understaffed for the volume of project requests at OHSU. Given our mission and funding, we must prioritize providing support for research activities. Additionally, please note: we expect the new model of support to include fees for non-research projects. We will share more details about the new model of support in upcoming months.
Training is still required for personnel building and managing non-research projects, but limited support means we are unable to provide help for non-research projects over email or at our drop-in sessions. At the present time, for non-research projects, we will be processing requests: 1) requests for new projects, 2) requests to move projects to production, and 3) system requests to approve form modifications that require a REDCap Admin’s review. We will conduct abbreviated pre-production review of survey projects over email.
One of our goals in providing support for REDCap is to help customers build self-reliance. The following is a list of great resources for getting answers to questions about 1) how something works in REDCap, and 2) how REDCap is managed at OHSU.
Access these resources when you are logged into REDCap.
Explore this online site to learn more.
Project Point Person
The point person for your project is should be the first person to direct questions to, especially questions that are specific to accessing your project, how to enter data in your project, how to run reports or export data.
Every REDCap project is required to have an OHSU point person.* This is the personnel who completed requireed training and requested the project be created. The expectations for the point person are as follows: Disseminate REDCap operations and requirements, reviewed in training, with the rest of the project team. *For approved OCTRI partner projects, such as Portland VA, the point person can be personnel from the partner organization who has completed training.
Disseminate REDCap operations and requirements, reviewed in training, with the rest of the project team.
*For approved OCTRI partner projects, such as Portland VA, the point person can be personnel from the partner organization who has completed training.
Email REDCap Team
We provide email support to process routine requests for new projects, production launches, production changes, etc., to communicate operations and to answer questions.
- We monitor email during business hours and business days.
- Our goal is to respond within 2 business days of receipt of your email.
- Emailing Questions or Asking for Help
- Include the exact name of your project
- Include pertinent details
- Examples in your project to illustrate the issue, such as a record id, form name, report name, etc.
Drop-In for In-Person Help from REDCap Team
We hold 2 weekly online drop-ins for in person help for real time problem solving in projects, to conduct required survey reviews, make recommendations about project set up and using project modules for managing project activities.
- Monday's: 2pm to 3pm
- Thursday's: 11am to 12pm
- Sign up for drop-in
- How We Manage Drop-in
- First come, first served.
- Pre-production survey reviews prioritized.
- Time allotted per person depends on the number of attendees.
- Who is Drop-in for
- Personnel building or managing projects.
- Personnel who have completed Basics training or have core competency with basic functionality.
- For Survey projects, personnel who have completed Survey training
- Drop-in Works Well for Help with Following Kinds of Issues
- Real time problem solving in users' projects for help with form development, project set up activities, reports, unexpected behaviors, and all things survey.
- Questions about and instructions for advanced features, such as Data Access Groups, Data Quality Rules, Importing, etc.